Picture this, your furry friend falls sick and instead of being able to focus 100% of your attention on helping them get better, you are stuck worrying about how to pay their vet bills. This is when pet insurance can serve a great purpose to pet owners. Pet insurance serves as a safety net for pet owners as it can protect you from unexpected veterinary claims. After all, health care costs are generally rising, and pet health care is not exempted.
Here are the important things you need to know about pet care insurance in Malaysia.
1. Most insurance providers require your pets to be microchipped, especially dogs.
There are concerns that pet insurance was being misused because people insured fake pets for money. To overcome this issue, pet insurance companies start to be more diligent and require pets to be microchipped and chip numbered. Rest assured that this process will not hurt your pets and they will not feel any pain. Plus, it will come in handy in case your pet goes missing.
2. You can choose between 3 types of plans, depending on the type and amount of coverage you need.
All pet insurance policies cover claims for veterinary invoices and refund compensation for accidental or illness deaths. Some plans may also cover the cost of burial or cremation. For even more comprehensive coverage, you can also choose to add on a missing pet policy so that in the case that your pet is missing, pet insurance also works to cover the cost of the advertising and reward for locating them. Take note that the amount of premium you pay depends on the annual limit chosen and the type of coverage you choose. The more comprehensive the plan, the higher the annual premium will be.
3. Some plans include taking care of your pet when you are not around.
Pet insurance also covers the cost of pet boarding in case you need to be admitted to the hospital, so you can recover without worrying about your pet's wellbeing. Furthermore, some plans also cover the cost of clinic overnight stays in case your pet needs to be admitted for medical purposes.
4. Insurance can also protect you from third-party injury damage.
Sometimes pets misbehave, especially with people they don’t recognize. That’s when the third-party injury and damage coverage can help to protect you and the people around you. In case your pet unintentionally hurt another person or damages another person’s property, the insurance provider will compensate the costs of the accident.
5. What does pet insurance not cover?
All pet insurance providers will not cover pre-existing conditions, cosmetic-related procedures, prostheses, removal of foreign objects, annual vaccination jabs, dental-related treatments (except those caused by accident), and food poisoning. Pet insurance providers may also not cover certain breeds that are not allowed to be domesticated in Malaysia. This said it’s advisable for you to get pet insurance while your pet is still young and healthy so you can ensure better coverage.
If you decide to insure your pet, do check out Oyen. Known as Malaysia’s Best Pet Insurance, here is what they offer.
- Cats: RM32 – RM51 per month / RM299 – RM499 a year
- Dogs: RM51 – RM80 per month / RM499 to RM799 a year
- Only valid for cats or dogs (For now)
- Your cat or dog is between 12 weeks to 10 years old
- Dogs need to be micro chipped / Cats need an vet medical ID (vaccine card) as proof of ownership
- Your cat or dog is free from injury or physical injury at the start date of insurance registration
- Your dog is coming from a breed that is not banned or restricted by the Government or Public or Local Authority in Malaysia. For cats, we accept all breed.
- Veterinary fees for illness or injury - Up to RM8,000 annually
- Overnight stays, diagnosis, blood tests, and post-surgical visits/treatments
- Compensation for accidental damage or injuries to others
- Third-party liability coverage of up to RM30,000
- Burial and cremation costs of up to RM1,000 (*not all plans)
- Cost of prescribed medications
- Pre-existing conditions/illnesses
- Any illness or accident that takes place during the 14-day waiting period
- Preventative treatments
- Cosmetic and prosthesis treatments
- Behavioural training or treatments
- Working pets
Find out more on their website!
Other pet insurance providers in Malaysia -
- MSIG Pet Insurance - https://www.msig.com.my/personal-insurance/products/Pet/
- CG Cover Pet Insurance - https://cgcover.com/pet-insurance/
Bottom line is that your pets are like your family members and they deserve the best care in case they fall sick.
You can't predict when or when the worst will happen, but pet insurance can help you prepare for the unexpected. After all, these monthly payments can greatly help you and your fur baby in the long run. Remember, choosing the right insurance plan is a very important decision, so be sure to do a survey before making a call. Hope we helped. Remember, keeping your pets healthy has never been easier with PawPal. Be sure to give us a try!